How to Register a Car in Louisiana

Moving to a new area is a bit stressful due to all of the things that have to handled when settling in. If you are new to the state of Louisiana, then you will need to register your vehicle. For those new to the state, you will have 30 days to get your vehicle registered before you are subjected to an overdue fee. If you are a resident and have purchased a new vehicle, then you will have 40 days to do so before you are charged a late fee. Each of the cars that drive on Louisiana roadways must be registered with the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. You can register your car either in person or by mail.

When ready to get the car you have registered, you will need to find the nearby Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. Here is what you will need to bring with you when trying to get your car registered:

  • A completed Vehicle Application
  • You current driver’s license
  • The current registration and title for the car if coming in from out of state
  • Proof of car insurance with at least $15.000 worth of bodily injury coverage
  • Inspection paperwork
  • Proof of sales tax payment if you are coming from out of state
  • Your payment for all of the fees

If you are a resident of Louisiana and have purchased a car you will need to bring these additional items with you when trying to get the car registered:

  • A bill of sale for the car
  • Ownership documents
  • Odometer readings from the car
  • A loan document if applicable

When getting your car registered in the state of Louisiana, here are the fees you can expect to pay:

  • Title fee of $68.50
  • A handling fee that will be a maximum of $8
  • A lien fee if you are registering a recently purchased car of $10 to $15
  • License plate fee that is based on the value of your vehicle
  • Sales tax that is four percent of the assessed value of your vehicle

Before you are able to get your vehicle registered, you will have to get the car inspected. Some of the parishes(counties) in Louisiana will require you to pass an emissions test before the vehicle can be registered. For more information, visit the Louisiana OMV website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

How to Register a Car in New York
For For some, moving to New York is a lifelong dream that they will stop at nothing to achieve. While moving to the Big Apple is exciting, there are a number of things that you will need to do. The...
Child Seat Safety Laws in Louisiana
In In the State of Louisiana, everyone who transports children in motor vehicles is subject to certain laws, which are based in common sense, and designed to protect children. Failure to obey the laws can result in penalties, but that...
Rules of the Road For Louisiana Drivers
Driving Driving on the road requires you to know a lot of laws in order to drive safely and legally. While there are many laws that are based on common sense and that are the same from state to state,...

Related questions

Expired registration and inspection
Hello. It appears that a NYS inspection is required in order to renew the registration, so it would appear that, yes, you can get an NYS inspection with an expired registration. I would recommend taking it to the nearest inspection...
Idle issue
The low idle may be contributing to the flickering of the lights in the dash due to low charging output by the alternator as a result of the low engine idle. The low idle may be a result of a...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·