Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Virginia

There are many different benefits for veteran and active duty military who are in Virginia. There are also some laws and regulations that will be of interest to service members and former military members in the state.

Vehicle registration

When you are stationed in Virginia, you can title and register a vehicle that you buy in your home state, or in Virginia. The choice is yours, and if the cost of registering in your home state is cheaper, it might be a good idea.

In Virginia, you are able to indicate on your registration application that you are a member of the military, which can help to provide protection if your vehicle has a lien against it. It will then require a court order to enforce the lien. This can be an important protection to have, particularly for those who are deployed and away from their vehicle.

Driver’s license veteran designation

For proof of veteran status, the state of Virginia will issue veteran ID cards. Many other states will print proof of status on the license, but in Virginia, you will receive a veteran ID card. You can apply for the card online or in person. You can also apply by mail by sending your Virginia Veterans ID Card Application form and your proof of service to the following address.

Driver Support Work Center, Room 419
PO Box 27412
Richmond, VA 23269-0001

The cost of the ID card is $10, and it does not have an expiration date on it.

Military honor plates

The state of Virginia offers a wealth of military honor plates They have options for all of the following, as well as many more.

  • 173rd Airborne
  • Air Force Cross
  • Air Force Reserve
  • Army
  • Army Reserve
  • Bronze Star
  • Bronze Star Valor
  • Chosin Reservoir Survivor
  • Coast Guard
  • Coast Guard Auxiliary
  • Coast Guard Reserve
  • Combat Infantrymen
  • Desert Storm/Shield Veteran
  • Disabled Veteran
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Enduring Freedom Veteran
  • Former Prisoner of War
  • Gold Star
  • Iraqi Freedom Veteran
  • Korean War Veteran
  • Legion of Merit
  • Legion of Valor of the USA
  • Navy
  • Navy Reserve
  • Marines

Military skills test waiver

The state features a program called Troops to Trucks, and it is geared toward helping members of the military transition to civilian life by using their experience driving trucks in the military. If you have at least two years of experience driving trucks in the military, you are able to waive the Virginia skills test. This makes it much easier for people to get their commercial driver’s license, as they have one less hurdle to pass. They also offer classroom and behind the wheel training.

Military commercial driver’s license act of 2012

The Military Commercial Driver’s License Act of 2012 makes it possible for military members who are on active duty to obtain their commercial driver’s license, even if they aren’t residents of Virginia. They do need to be attached to a base in the state though. It could be a permanent or a temporary base. This applies to the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Reserves, National Guard, Coast Guard, and the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Driver license and registration renewal

If you are deployed outside of Virginia, but you expect to return to the state, you will be able to receive an extension on your license. The same is true for those who are spouses or dependents. The extension is valid for three years. You will receive an extension card that you will need to carry with your expired license.

You will not receive an extension on your renewal. You need to make sure that you register your vehicle on time, and that you pay the proper fees. The amount that you will have to pay is determined by the weight of the vehicle, the plate you purchase, and the number of years you register the vehicle. In Virginia, you can register for one or two years.

In the following counties/cities, you will have to pay an additional $2 emissions fee.

  • Arlington
  • Fairfax
  • Loudoun
  • Prince William
  • Stafford
  • Alexandria
  • Fairfax
  • Falls Church
  • Manassas
  • Manassas Park

However, you can receive a $1 discount when you renew your registration online. If you renew at the DMV, you will have $5 added to the registration.

Non-resident military personnel driver license and vehicle registration

If you are an active duty member and you are stationed in Virginia, you, your spouse, and your dependent children can drive with a license issued by your home state. You do not need to get a driver’s license in Virginia. However, you can if you choose to.

To learn more about the Virginia DMV and what it offers to veterans, you can visit their site.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Washington
Drivers Drivers in Washington who are active duty members of the military, as well as veterans, will want to learn more about some of the basic benefits and driver laws in the state and how they will apply. Driver’s license...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in West Virginia
The The state of West Virginia has certain laws and requirements, as well as benefits for drivers in the state who are active duty as well as veterans. The laws and benefits cover a number of areas including veteran license...
Windshield Laws in Colorado
If If you drive a vehicle on the roadways, you already know there are many different rules that you are required to follow. However, in addition to traffic laws, drivers are also required to make sure their vehicles meet the...

Related questions

Clunk in front on driverside louder at low speed
Hello, thanks for writing in about your Cadillac DTS. I would suggest checking the sway bar end links, strut bearings, and bushings. When these are worn they can cause a clunking sound. If you decide to get this fixed, I...
How many and what size jack stand
Hi there. This would depend on what type of jack stands are on the rear of the trailer. If you have two jack stands of 18k pound rating on the rear, then you can put two 18k pound rating jack...
My 02 lesabre has a sulfur egg smell what is it it's making me sick
The engine should be checked first to make sure it is not running too rich. If not running rich then the exhaust catalyst (catalytic converters) are bad and need to be replaced.

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·