Q: Why would a truck crank but not start until a plug wire is removed?

My truck would not start this morning. It would turn over but wouldn't start. I pulled the plug wire to test for a spark, got it to spark then it started. Shut the engine off, plugged the wire back in, waited a few minutes and it wouldn't start again. Pulled the wire again, and it started yet again. What would cause it to do this?

The engine may have a shorted spark plug that is shorting the coil out. I would recommend replacing the spark plugs first then replace the coil pack if it continues to not start. If you need help with this, a certified professional from YourMechanic can diagnose the starting issue and help perform any of these services for you.

3. Why would a truck crank but not start until a plug wire is removed?