Q: Why does my Shifter moves freely, but wont shift? A small piece in steering column has broken off. 2006 Dodge Dakota

I was putting my car in reverse to back out of a parking space and my column shifter will move, but not shift gears. I removed the steering column and a small piece that connected the shift cable was broken off. I cannot properly identify the part to order, and dont even know if it can be bought without an assembly kit.

Hi - you have diagnosed this correctly! Part of the shift linkage has broken, preventing gear selection. I would recommend a shift linkage inspection to determine what parts to order by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. Why does my Shifter moves freely, but wont shift? A small piece in steering column has broken off. 2006 Dodge Dakota