Q: Why does my Shifter moves freely, but wont shift? A small piece in steering column has broken off. 2006 Dodge Dakota

I was putting my car in reverse to back out of a parking space and my column shifter will move, but not shift gears. I removed the steering column and a small piece that connected the shift cable was broken off. I cannot properly identify the part to order, and dont even know if it can be bought without an assembly kit.

Hi - you have diagnosed this correctly! Part of the shift linkage has broken, preventing gear selection. I would recommend a shift linkage inspection to determine what parts to order by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• Why does my Shifter moves freely, but wont shift? A small piece in steering column has broken off. 2006 Dodge Dakota