Q: Shifting has become much harder, especially 1st gear and reverse, and sometimes I can't shift into any gear.

asked by on November 13, 2016

I recently bought a pre-owned 2007 Honda S2000 with 2 previous owners and roughly 63,000 miles on it. This weekend I was driving and all of a sudden I could not shift into any gear while I was moving at around 40 miles per hour. After that, I noticed it was harder to shift into gears, especially 1st gear and Reverse. I'm not sure what is wrong, if anything. What are your thoughts?

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi. Usually when a manual transmission is hard to shift, it means that the slave cylinder is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced. The purpose of the slave cylinder is to make shifting of the transmission smooth and effortless for the driver. The clutch master cylinder may also cause this problem as well, but the slave cylinder is most likely the issue. The worst case scenario is that the clutch or the gears in the transmission are starting to fail, but this is not normal for the miles the transmission has on it.

I suggest you have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is hard to shift and suggest the necessary repairs.