Q: Why do I hear chattering noise from under my SUV while driving?

I have a 2003 Ford Expedition. I started hearing squeaking noises if I turn my wheel and when I went over speed bumps. Now I hear chattering from underneath while in motion and get more noticeable as I accelerate. What causes this?

Hello there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help.

Squeaking and chattering noises can be caused by many things. Common causes of these symptoms are worn suspension or steering components. If any steering tie rods or suspension bushings or joints wear out they can squeak and chatter due to looseness. If the issue is steering related you may feel vibrations in the steering wheel that accompany the noises. If the noise is suspension related then you may feel vibrations from the vehicle chassis. Vibrations can also be caused by issues with the drive train and even the tires. If any of the drive line components, such as a flex coupler, U joint, or drive shaft have an issue they may vibrate as they rotate. Tires can also cause the issue, if they are unevenly worn or out of balance. I recommend starting to resolve this issue by trying to determine what area, or from what components the vibration may be coming from and go from there.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.