Q: When the hill start assist is active, will it make any specific noises?

I have a 2015 CR-V with hill start assist. I have noticed that when on an incline and I move my foot from the brake to the gas that it makes a funny noise. The noise sounds like you are flicking one of those springy type door stoppers. Is this system supposed to make noise when operating, just like the pulsating the abs makes when working correctly or should this be silent? Thanks! :)

A: Hi there. There is probably a loose heat sh...

Hi there. There is probably a loose heat shield on the exhaust system. Crawl under the car when it is cold, and see if the heat shields on the catalytic converters are loose or rusted off in spots. They tend to vibrate and make noise in the middle of the car and are hard to pinpoint.

It’s a common issue for the Honda 2015 CR-V vehicles. Tighten up the heat shield bolts if any or you will need to weld up the heat shield to the catalytic converter to keep it from vibrating. If the shield is broken and not repairable, then I recommend replacing the heat shield. If you need further assistance diagnosing the noise, then have one of YourMechanic’s certified technicians come to your location to determine why the car is making a noise.