Q: What is the Belt-Minder® system?

What is the Belt-Minder® system?

Your car has a lot of advanced features. One of those is the Belt-Minder® system. Basically, it’s designed to track seat belt use in your car and alert you to potential problems, keeping you and your passengers safer. The Belt-Minder® system consists of a chime/audible alert and the Seat Belt Light in the dash. Here’s how the warning system works:

• If both the driver and front passenger are buckled up before the engine cranks, the system doesn’t alert.

• If the driver or front passenger isn’t buckled up before the engine cranks, the Belt-Minder® system will turn on the Seat Belt Light and use the warning chime.

• If either the driver or front passenger unbuckles for at least a minute while the car is moving at more than 3 MPH, the Belt-Minder® will turn on the light and the chime will sound (every 6 seconds for 30 seconds).

Tips

• Always wear your seat belt and ensure that all passengers are buckled up.

• Always make sure you’re wearing your seat belt correctly – the Belt-Minder® system cannot determine correct wear, only that the belt is buckled.

3. What is the Belt-Minder® system?