Q: When headlights are turned on, gauge lights go out

Some of the display lights are not working in my car. When I turn on the headlights or the dimmer lights, the speedometer and some of the other display lights do not come on. The reading/dome lights work well and other indicator lights on the dashboard cluster seem to be fine. I checked the fuses with a meter and everything appears to be functioning normally in that area. Where should I look next to find the solution for this problem?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1997 Chrysler Intrepid. From your description, it sounds like the speedometer works but just does not illuminate so you can see it at night. If this is the case, the problem likely lies in the cluster itself. Illumination lamps, which are internal to the cluster, receive power from a 4-amp fuse when the headlamp switch is turned to the on position. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to inspect your vehicle firsthand to determine the issue.

3. When headlights are turned on, gauge lights go out