Q: Car sputters upon acceleration and in 4th gear

When I start to accelerate after taking off in too high a gear and also when I am driving uphill, my car sputters. I is still running and has not quit on me. I am able to keep it in 4th gear, but it sputters there too. It is time for a tune up. Also, the check engine light is on. I am thinking that the problem might be the fuel injector, the fuel filter, or the coil pack. I am very much hoping that it is not the transmission. What do you think is the cause of this problem?

A tune-up may correct this issue especially if it has been a long time since the plugs, filters, and maintenance have been done. Fault codes should be read out of the engine computer and corrected as well. Fuel pressure and volume should be looked at in addition the health of the ignition system. The induction system needs to be checked for vacuum leaks as unmetered air can also cause sputtering and lean misfire conditions. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment and expertise to diagnose the sputtering issue.

3. Car sputters upon acceleration and in 4th gear