Q: Starter clicks

asked by on December 04, 2016

Won't start,like low battery, solenoid clicks rapidly but won't engage the starter My clutch cable broke.i carefully so it's not against anything,ran a cable I had threw two pulleys and the firewall in a different location to a handle,now it disengages the clutch when I pull it . cluster lights up and engages solenoid when key is turned but doesn't engage starter, and when I hit the brake pedal the cluster gets dim.

Hello. The symptoms you describe are typical of a faulty starter or starter solenoid. If the starter motor or solenoid wear out internally they may no longer be able to start the engine properly. A common trick is to tap on the starter to see if that loosens up the internal contacts enough to engage the starter. The same can also be caused by a weak or dead battery. A battery load test would be able to determine if the battery may be the source of the issue, or if it may lie elsewhere. As electrical issues like these often require special equipment to diagnose, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what maybe causing your starting issues.