Q: Transmission slips off line under mid-full throttle

asked by on September 15, 2016

This has been a really good car, but lately I've been having trouble with the transmission. If I'm not in first gear, the transmission starts slipping off the line under mid to full throttle. In addition to that, when I'm on level surfaces it has begun to surge at constant speeds. This does not happen on hills, inclines, declines, etc.; only on level paved good road surfaces. What is causing this and what do I do to get it fixed?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1998 Oldsmobile LSS. The first thing to have checked in a situation like this is the transmission fluid level. Using the directions laid out in the owner’s manual, inspect the transmission fluid level and condition. A low fluid level from a leak can cause many problems as the automatic transmission is a hydraulic unit. Hire an experienced technician, like the ones at YourMechanic, to inspect the slipping problem and refill the transmission fluid if necessary.