Q: Canister Purge Valve or EVAP Canister Vent Hose

My car is idling rough, stalling out, leaking fumes into the car (rarely), reduced fuel economy over the last month. Check Engine light just came on P1450 and P2195. Will I cause engine damage if I continue to run my car for another month without repairing this? I am told it is either the Canister Purge Valve Solenoid or the EVAP Canister Vent Hose.

Diagnostic Trouble Code P2195 suggests the vehicle is running too rich. That’s not good for the catalytic converter as the converter can overheat and be damaged if too much in the way of unburned hydrocarbons are introduced to the converter. I don’t think I would risk running the car needlessly for a month, particularly as you clearly describe it as using too much gas and running obviously roughly. If I were you, I’d simply seek out a repair at the earliest possible time. If you desire to schedule the diagnostic and repair with YourMechanic simply request either a check engine light diagnostic or a rough running diagnostic. Either entree to the problem will get you the same professional resolution in the end.

With regard to Diagnostic Trouble Code P1450, actually, there is much more that could be at issue than just a blocked EVAP canister or vent solenoid. That trouble code will also set if there is a kinked or collapsed hose between the canister and the fuel tank, a faulty fuel tank pressure (FTP) sensor or even a fuel filler cap that is stuck closed, preventing vacuum relief to the tank. So, basically, when you request a diagnostic from YourMechanic, all those possible faults have to EACH be ruled in or out. Parts are never just automatically replaced, at least not by reputable, professional mechanics, simply because a code sets and "refers" to a part or parts. Instead the parts referred to in diagnostic trouble codes have to be separately and sequentially diagnosed, and often tested, in a "decision tree". So, the bottom line is codes merely supply clues as to the fault and NEVER constitute a definitive diagnostic of the type that only a qualified mechanic can perform.

The other code that you are reporting, namely P2195 could have set due to intake vacuum leaks or intake hose leaks between the mass air sensor and the throttle body, excessive fuel pressure, and/or fuel injector(s) that might be leaking or stuck open.