Q: 2012 Kia soul trans problems

asked by on February 26, 2018

Does the kia soul come with a vst and is it normal for it to downshift hard from 2nd to 1st

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The transmission in your Kia Soul is a 6 speed automatic and is not a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The harsh downshifting is not normal and complaints are in the NHTSA database from at least two other consumers regarding this issue (you can review the complaints on-line at the NHTSA website). An initial possibility is to see if there is a transmission software control update that might resolve the problem or perhaps modifications in the shift solenoids. If none of that is applicable, the issue will have to be diagnosed. Causes of abrupt shifting typically arise from poor control of hydraulic pressure in the transmission, valve body problems, shift solenoid problems, vehicle speed sensor and throttle position sensor problems and so forth. Basically, in the service manual there is a diagnostic decision tree that covers harsh downshifts. The tree is followed, carefully testing each component until the aberration is found. It is in part process of elimination. If you desire a diagnostic to have the fault pinpointed, the recommended service is a transmission shift diagnostic. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.