Q: Ugly noise coming from the engine when I hit the gas pedal. Oil Light comes on when I brake harshly

A weird "fork in a dryer" sound is coming from the engine and gets worse when I hit the gas, and when I get the brakes harshly the Oil light comes on for a good 5 seconds. The Service Engine Soon light is also on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

A: The first thing to check would be the engin...

The first thing to check would be the engine oil level. The red oil can light is a warning light for low oil pressure and this can happen if there is an internal failure or if the oil level is just too low from a leak. If the engine oil level is low, try adding some until it is full and run the engine to see if the noise changes. The service engine soon light means there is one or more fault codes stored in the vehicles computer and an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic has the ability to read these codes and use them as a guide for diagnosing may different concerns as there are different codes for different problems. If you need assistance, a certified technician can perform an inspection of your vehicle's engine noise as well as any service lights that are on, to help diagnose and repair the vehicle.