Q: When backing up a hill, reverse gear stops functioning

When I have to back up a hill, the reverse gear stops working. Then I have to shift to a different gear and then back into reverse. After that I am able to back up the hill. On level surface, the reverse works well, but not on an incline. What is causing this and what can I do to find the fix for this problem?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1989 Dodge Ramcharger. First check the transmission fluid level. If the level is too low and sitting in one corner of the pan, the transmission pump may be having a hard time picking it up. Hire an experienced technician, like one from YourMechanic, to check the linkage between the shifter handle and transmission assembly for looseness or breaks as well. If the fluid level is low, the YourMechanic technician can refill the transmission fluid so your car is back to working fine.

3. When backing up a hill, reverse gear stops functioning