Q: Wheel bearing going out

While driving, my car makes a noise near the front right wheel. It could possibly be the wheel bearing. I also just replaced my alternator and it is now making a clicking sound.

A: Hi there. A faulty wheel bearing will gener...

Hi there. A faulty wheel bearing will generally cause a growling noise similar to a chopping or cupping wear on the inner or outer edge of one or more tires. To determine this, the tire on the suspected wheel of the bearing issue needs to be examined. This can be done by carefully inspecting the tread wall of the tire on the inner and outer edge to see if there is a wavy pattern in the tread wall. If a wavy pattern is detected, the tire/tires will need to be replaced and the vehicle aligned. If no unusual wear pattern is detected, then the vehicle will need further testing to determine whether it is a bearing issue. This diagnosis commonly includes either a specialized type of test drive to shift the weight of the vehicle while moving or placing the vehicle on an automotive lift or stands to allow the wheels to be unweighted and driven to highways speeds. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to assist in the repair of the wheel bearing.

As far as the alternator is concerned, the noise source can be determined with an engine stethoscope. Most alternators are remanufactured and it is possible there was an issue with the remanufacturing process. If you need further assistance, contact a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to inspect the clicking noise coming from your alternator.