Q: What if I don't know what's wrong?

My car was making a rattling noise. It started out low in sound and gradually became louder. My car then died in the middle of the road and wouldn't start up again. Luckily for me I was so close to home I was able to put the car in neutral and get a push to the house. I'm assuming it's the alternator, but if it's not, how would I get charged? I did try to start the car later on in the day and it started, by I have not tried to drive the car since

Alternators can make noise, due to defective bearings, belt, etc., and still charge the battery. If you are hearing noise from the area of the engine when the car is stationary, if the sound is not really obvious, that is pinpointed, on a mechanic’s initial inspection, a quick diagnostic can be performed by simply taking all of the belt driven accessories (including the alternator) out of the picture by disconnecting the drive belts and then very briefly running the engine. If the noise disappears, the faulty component is then isolated amongst the accessories and pulleys. If the sounds does not disappear, that means the noise originates within the engine and/or transmission. If the sound occurs only once the car is moving, remote wireless microphones can be used to identify where the noise originates from. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. What if I don't know what's wrong?