Q: what could cause my oil to not return to the oil pan?

Before i start my vehicle i check the oil. It reads fine. I warm it up and check the oil again and theres none on the stick. If i run it any longer it starts to chater a little. Any idea what could cause the oil to not cycle properly?

If your vehicle has not had regular oil changes, sludge will form internally and may block oil return passages. After you warm it up, remove the valve cover cap and look inside to see if oil is building up. It should flow freely back into the pan and very little oil should remain under the valve covers. You may also see the sludge buildup I refer to. A certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the chattering noise and the symptoms with your oil firsthand, and suggest a repair solution.