Q: I changed the oil in my 2012 Nissan Sentra and now it has no power when I put it in gear.

I changed the oil in my 2012 Nissan Sentra and now it has no power when I put it in gear.

A: Your car’s engine oil and lubricating syste...

Your car’s engine oil and lubricating system should have no impact on the transmission control function. This may be related to a separate issue such as a faulty transmission control module or low transmission fluid levels. As you may know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears.

Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all.

I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically diagnose this loss of power.