Q: What are the chances it could be the fuel relay that is stalling my car?

My car was sitting in idle and stalled for the first time. I thought it was due to being low on gas so I put in fuel and it ran for another few days then I had it sitting in idle while I talked to someone and it stalled out and didn't restart back up. I don't hear the noise from the fuel pump and my mechanic said that he thinks it is the fuel pump. I was wondering what the chances of it being the fuel relay instead? My car has an automatic transmission.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. It’s hard to tel...

Hi, thanks for writing in. It’s hard to tell what the problem without doing some further testing. If you do not hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to accessory, this is a huge sign. Technically, it could be the relay. However, they typically do not fail intermittently. These types of electrical devices usually work, or they don’t work. The relay can be tested with an ohmmeter for resistance. Or on a relay test board if people still use them. When fuel is suspected to be the problem, always check or replace your fuel filter as well. This can majorly restrict the amount of fuel available for the engine. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.