Q: My girlfriend accidentally poured about 5 quarts of water into my engine oil and drove the car 30 plus miles home from work

My girlfriend accidentally poured 5 quarts of water into my engine oil compartment then drove it about 35 miles home from work.

My car has 294000miles.

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 1995 Honda Civic. There is an old saying about oil and water mixing - and for internal combustion engines, it typically ends up in broken parts. The extra volume of liquid inside the oil chamber could cause problems if not replaced ASAP; including damage to the combustion chamber, piston rings, cylinder head valves and more. The best option for you at this point is to stop driving the vehicle immediately and have the oil and filter completely drained and changed. When the engine drains, adding new oil and a filter should clear out the excess water, however, it would be a good idea to replace the oil and filter again after about 500 miles to be safe.

• My girlfriend accidentally poured about 5 quarts of water into my engine oil and drove the car 30 plus miles home from work