Q: Vibration and noise experienced at the front left wheel.

asked by on February 04, 2017

I experienced noise and vibration at the front left wheel (Volvo S80 2015). It was later found out that the driveshaft bolt was missing. I detected the noise and vibration issue a few days later after my 30,000km servicing at the workshop. The workshop had changed the brake disc as part of the servicing. Is it possible to do so without removing the driveshaft bolt? The dimension of the bolt is 70 mm in length and the distant between the wheel hub and wheel cap is 40 mm. What is the most reasonable explanation that the bolt can fell off with the wheel cap still intact? Is it safe to drive without a bolt secured? Will the wheel come off? What will be the impact on the car? As I had driven the vehicle for sometime before the missing bolt was detected, will it cause damages to other parts such as gearbox, driveshaft and the suspension or other parts of the car?

Car is shaking or vibrating Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The vibration could be the wheel hub assembly worn or the CV Shaft moving around. The wheel is attached to a wheel hub assembly which is attached to the steering suspension on the car, so the wheel will not come off. The large nut the is on the middle of the wheel is to secure the CV Shaft. If that nut came off, then the CV Shaft can move around when driving the car. If the car is under hard acceleration in a sharp turn, the CV Shaft could come out of the wheel and cause damage to the vehicle or make the vehicle stop moving. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your vibration issue on the front wheels.