Q: Very loud pop when turning sharp left leaking transmission or power steering fluid where steering column meet rack

Leaking tranny fluid somewhere around steering rack and steering column U-joint I own a 2003 Mazda Tribute that I would like to take the steering rack or the whole steering system off of and then install it on the 2002 Mazda Tribute is this possible? I have already taken every power steering component from 03 Mazda and installed on 02 except high pressure hose got that brand new basically do you have any tips on removing and installing a used steering rack and column? Also been having issues with steering wheel it jumps to the left while driving and car pulls hard to driver side i wouldnt dare let go of the wheel while moving also hear a clicking noise while turning left and lost about half of my power steering fluid at some point have had no issues with leaks prior to this with power steering reservoir or hoses.

Hi there. If everything else has already been installed from the donor vehicle then it sounds like the high pressure hose is all that you need to install. The hardest part of doing this is the routing. One thing you may also want to double check is that the donor vehicle and your 2003 Escape have the same rack. There are different models depending on the model and the size of your wheels. You need to install the pressure line first, but if it does not line up then you may have the wrong rack installed. If you would like some assistance installing this hose, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [replace your high pressure steering hose] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/power-steering-pressure-hose-replacement

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle may be experiencing issues with the rack and pinion. Steering racks have internal gears that can become damage or worn. When they do they can cause all sorts of issues, including your steering symptoms, and in more serious cases fluid loss. This is more likely if the vehicle was in some sort of collision. I would carefully examine the rack to see if it there are any leaks. If there are, the rack may need to be rebuilt. According to my research it seems that the 01 - 04 model year Tributes use the same part number of steering rack and power steering pump, so it is likely that the rest of the steering system components should be a direct fit across both vehicles. Removing a power steering rack usually involves undoing all of the steering linkage and fluid lines, unmounting the rack, and then maneuvering it free. If you are having trouble removing it I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to (determine if the rack needs to be replaced)[https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/steering-rack-gearbox-replacement].

• Very loud pop when turning sharp left leaking transmission or power steering fluid where steering column meet rack