My car starts in 3rd gear, it will shift to 4th but not t...

Q: My car starts in 3rd gear, it will shift to 4th but not to 5th, 1st, or 2nd.

asked by on December 26, 2016

Hello I'm just wanting to know what could be cursing the problem if I need a new gear box or if it's another problem

You might have an internal transmission failure, or you may have gone into a default mode. The ECU may have partially shut down because of a fault in the electronic control system and the car can still be operated in third and forth as a kind of limp home feature. Before you start tearing into the transmission, you need to have all the controllers in the car scanned for codes. It could really be a fault anywhere in the car because all of the ECU’s are sharing information with each other. To do this conveniently, you can Contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office and scan the controllers for codes and recommend further action.