Q: Noise coming from rear wheel

asked by on October 26, 2016

When driving can hear like a scrapping noise or something rubbing against wheel

A rubbing or scrapping noise coming from the rear of this vehicle is most commonly caused by one of two things. The rear wheel bearings that are part of the rear hubs are going bad. These wheel bearings are not serviceable and need to be replaced with the rear hub. You can check this is the problem by removing the rear wheel and turning the hub to see if you hear noise in the bearing or in the rear brakes. If the noise is in the brakes instead of in the hub then the rear brake shoes may need to be replaced from normal wear. [https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/brake-shoes-rear-replacement] These are the two most common problems with noise in the rear of these vehicles and a thorough inspection should be done to isolate the cause of the noise.