Q: Flashing check engine light after repairs

I had a check engine light so I took my car to Monro Muffler and Brakes. I'm not very car literate so I'm just going to type everything they did that was on my receipt. They smoked for a leak, replaced a vent valve, replaced a TU4301 spark plug, replaced a waterpump/timing belt, collant flush/fill, valv cooling system, and fuel system procs. My car has 90k miles so I was expecting some issues cost me 1700$. Then as I'm driving it home my whole car is shaking violently. Called them they said it was normal and to just drive it for a few day it'll go away. The next morning my car engine light is flashing and won't start. I called them again they told me they ran it for 40 minutes yesterday and it was fine. Now they're trying to charge me to have someone come out to look at it and tow it. Is this something they caused? I've never had an issue like this before and I'm not going to pay for anything if it was their mess up. Thanks in advance for any help. -Stephanie

Hello Stephanie, thank you for writing in. Unfortunately your situation is complicated, and resolution may not be as easy as we would like. Due to the repairs they performed pertaining to the fuel, spark, and cooling system, it is difficult to try and determine what the original fault was relating to. This makes it difficult to determine what they were trying to fix in the first place. Often when there is a tricky issue, it is partly a guessing game to find the problem. Which is what these repairs sound like. Shaking violently is typically a sign that the engine is misfiring (AKA there is an issue with spark, fuel, or air delivery). Whether or not you use the same technicians again is up to you. Charging for more diagnostic work is typical procedure for some shops, but not for all of them. It is heavily dependent on the issue at hand, and what was done. Considering your car was running before hand, you should consider getting a second opinion. Keep in mind you are likely going to be charged for this work as well. You can save the tow fees by calling out one of our mobile technicians. To do so, contact our service department, and we would be happy to come help resolve the issue.