My car has trouble starting first thing in the morning or...

Q: My car has trouble starting first thing in the morning or after sitting around for a while.

asked by on September 11, 2017

My car just has trouble starting first thing in the morning or after sitting around for a good long while. It will eventually start, esp. when I start pressing on the gas pedal. No warning indicator lights come on. Otherwise it starts up fine at all other times.

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the vehicle’s issues are resolved by you pumping the fuel pedal, you will want to look into your fuel pressure. The fuel pump may be starting to fail, and you will need to install a gauge to measure what fuel pressure is available to the engine. This will allow you to rule out the major parts of the fuel engine up to that point. From there, you can inspect the throttle body and air intake sensors as well. This is assuming that you have full power available to the engine, and it is cranking over attempting to start every time. For more help with diagnostics and repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

There are many causes of hard starting but illustrative ones are a faulty engine coolant temperature switch (sensor), malfunctioning idle air control (IAC) valve, vacuum and EGR leaks, inadequate fuel delivery or pressure (clogged fuel filter, injectors), and contaminated or old gasoline. If you can start the vehicle readily when cold by holding the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking, suspect an air induction fault such as a stuck IAC valve. To resolve the issue that you are writing in about, please request a hard start diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.