Q: Vehicle tries to turn over but will not start after overheating.

car was overheating for about 5 minutes before the car lost all acceleration and i had to pull off to the side of the road. put about 2 quarts of water in the coolant reservoir to try and start the vehicle and it tries to turn over but will not fully turn over. now when i try to start it there is a grinding noise.

If you overheated the engine until you started to loose speed from the engine seizure locking up then you have already damaged the internal engine bearings and pistons possibly. I would recommend letting the engine cool completely and then check the oil and coolant to see if either is low or contaminated indicating blown head gaskets.