Q: Van will start sputtering then shut off after running my delivery route for a couple hours

After running my van a couple hours,it will start to sputter then cut off.Even if I press the gas pedal when it is sputtering it will still cut off.It will cut back on but when I leave it in park for 5 minutes,it will shut back off.I've changed the ignition control module and it ran fine for a day or so,but the problem came back up. It will start back up after it cuts off

A: Hi there. Replacing the ignition control mo...

Hi there. Replacing the ignition control module, you may have touched on something that allowed your engine to run fine for a day. The fact, it runs fine for a couple of hours and then starts sputtering and dies, leads me to believe a component is breaking down. This could be any number of possibilities, a faulty ignition coil, high resistance in the spark plug wires especially the coil (stinger) wire. The distributor cap is a fairly common failure. This could also be a fuel delivery related issue. Replacing components without diagnoses, can be expensive and time consuming without resolution. I recommend having your vehicle’s sputters and dies be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.