Q: 1993 Lincoln towncar revs up by itself while idling but not while driving. what's the most common cause for this?

asked by on July 02, 2017

My car recently started to rev up by itself while idling in park. It does not do it while driving. What is the most common cause of this?

Engine idle speed is high Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. In most cases, when the engine will idle higher after shifting into neutral or park is an indication of a vacuum leak. It could also be due to a malfunction of the idle control valve, or a malfunction of the throttle body itself. You might want to have a professional mechanic come to your location to complete an engine idle is high inspection, to determine the root source of this problem and recommend or complete the right repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr