Q: When having to quickly brake, pedal goes to floor

The brakes in my car usually work as they should. However, if there is a situation where I have to hit the brake pedal quickly, the pedal then goes almost all the way to the floor and it gets very hard. The ABS pump system light comes on when I turn the key, so I know they are working. This problem is intermittent, but can present a very dangerous situation. Would you give me your advice as to what I need to do to find the cause of this problem?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 1988 Buick Reatta. Generally, a hard brake pedal is caused by a problem with the brake booster. A pedal that sinks to the floor usually indicates a problem with the master cylinder, air in the system, or a hydraulic leak. Either way, your problem is a safety concern. I recommend having a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect and repair your vehicle as soon as possible.