Q: I need to now if my 2001 GMC Sierra 1550 4WD had a 3 or 4 spline pitman arm.

asked by on March 19, 2017

2001 GMC sierra 1500 4wd 5.3L fairly certain it has stock idler and pitman arm. both need replaced, but I am unsure if it is a 3 or 4 spline pitman arm? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to save myself the trouble of ordering the wrong part if possible.

Hi there. To see if the pitman arm has 3 or 4 splines, check the splines on it with the nut off. Use a flashlight and look at the splines to see if there are 3 large flat areas or 4 large flat areas. The pitman arm may have to be removed to check the splines. If you need further assistance with your pitman arm, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.