Q: Alternators not working properly

I have bought 3 alternators for my truck and it’s not charging properly. Sometimes it charges at 14 – 15 volts right after starting it. But in 10 minutes or less the gauge goes back down to battery voltage. I keeps dropping as the truck keeps running. I can't find any information on a ’97 that might be causing this problem. Everything else is working the way it’s suppose to except for the Tachometer which never worked.

A: Hello there, a few different faults can be ...

Hello there, a few different faults can be preventing your 1997 Chevy C2500 from charging. The most common would be the alternator, battery, battery cable, wiring fault, or an open circuit. To diagnose this, the first step would be to get the battery load tested and make sure it is in good working order. If you need help having this inspected properly, a certified technician can come to your car’s location to diagnose the charging system and see what’s going on.