Q: Transmission is not smooth at all, any service that will help?

My 2006 Honda Odyssey has a problem with the transmission that causes the whole car to shudder when it changes gear. On the higher gear changes the car feels alright, just a little rumble. At low speeds it’s a noticeable shudder and it clunks into gear. I am really worried that this transmission is totally screwed and now, at 101,000 miles, I am going to be stuck paying for it all out of pocket. Is there anything I can do to put off the imminent transmission failure?

A: We must start by pointing out that this 200...

We must start by pointing out that this 2006 Honda Odyssey has 101,000 miles on its transmission and the problem might be from internal component wear. At that mileage, no manufacturer would provide any assistance for any repairs, unless it is a recall (most of the time a safety issue). There is history of the Honda Odyssey having problems with the torque converter lock-up clutch causing a judder to be felt while driving 20-60 mph. It was addressed on TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 12-009 with a PCM (Power Control Module) update to minimize judder occurrence. They did not provide any assistance for anything more then the PCM update. The next recommendation is replacing the torque converter, but most of the time, the mileage is around 50,000-60,000 miles on those vehicles. Your local mechanic, such as YourMechanic can check your transmission to see whether it is a computer update, torque converter, or internal transmission wear issue. If the issue is internal transmission wear, it’s best to replace your transmission altogether.