Q: Why do the RPMs stay higher when I shift into Neutral?

I just bought the truck and it just started doing this were im driving and if im above 2000 to 2500 rpms and usually drop out of 2nd and 3rd gear to neutral the rpms will stay had that rpm till i hit the brakes or if i go past 3000k rpms while driving it will get to 2500 down to 2000 rpms and stay there again till i hit the brakes.

A: Hello. The symptoms you describe can common...

Hello. The symptoms you describe can commonly be caused by a vacuum leak or faulty idle air control valve. A vacuum leak may allow unmetered air into the engine, which may causing the idle to stay high when the transmission is put into neutral. It may also be possible that the idle air control valve has malfunctioned and is causing the issues. The idle air control valve is the component that is responsible for maintaining and adjusting engine idle speeds. If it malfunctions it may cause an erratic or irregular idle, as you are experiencing. I would start by closely inspecting the vehicle for any vacuum leaks, perhaps in the form of a leaky gasket or worn out hose, and then move on to testing the idle air control valve.