Q: My car makes a loud noise, shakes and has trouble starting when we put gas in it.

asked by on May 17, 2017

When we first got our car we noticed that when we put gas in it, it would have trouble starting, it would shake and sometimes we would have to try 2-3 times to get it to come on. It was never really a big problem but on Friday my mom took it to work and called me saying it was acting up and she didnt know what was wrong. She drove it home and explained that it drives almost normally but it is making a very loud noise, it sounds almost like something is stuck in a fan or the motor is going out- but we had it checked by a mechanic and he could not find out what was wrong, but confirmed that theres nothing stuck and the motor is fine. My mom also said she smelled gasoline quite badly right before the noise started, and the car is shaking the same way it does after we've put gas in it. Honestly i'm distressed and I can't find anything about whats wrong, so please help.

The purge valve is most likely leaking fumes into the intake manifold when your are refuelling the vehicle. This will flood the engine with gas fumes and cause the hard start and run rough until the excess fumes are burned off. Have the purge system checked to see if purge valve is leaking fumes when it is closed. If it is leaking then replace it. As far as the noise I would need more info on this since a mechanic already said they could not find any problems.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr