Q: Uneven tire wear and excessive shaking in the steering wheel once hitting highway speeds.

asked by on October 01, 2016

When driving at highway speeds, the steering wheel will begin to shake, and then stop after hitting speeds over 70MPH. Tread wear on the tires is uneven, the inner side has no tread, and has decent tread on the outer side on the front end of the vehicle. I took my vehicle to a local mechanic, and I was told that I need new inner tie rods, and new ball joints with (of course) new tires. Please help me understand if this is the correct diagnosis for my issue. Thanks and Regards.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Based on your description of the symptoms and tire wear, it seems that your mechanic probably is correct. When the tie rod and ball joints are damaged, they will cause the suspension to fall out of alignment; which is what really causes the tire wear on the inside edge. It may be a good idea to have a local ASE certified mechanic do the job for you. Here at YourMechanic, we can have a technician come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest the necessary repairs.