Q: 2011 Dodge caliber heat. Transmission overheats when the air conditioning is on. While the AC is off, the trans has no problem.

asked by on August 17, 2017

The transmission overheat warning light comes in on the dashboard after driving a couple of miles while the air conditioning is on. A high pitched noise is audible. The cvt trans locks out to a single or dual gear as a protection. When the air conditioning is not on, there is no problem.

You should check the cooling fans are coming on with the a/c to keep the engine and transmission cool. The CVT transmission may have a blocked cooler or cooler screen in the transmission. Have a CVT transmission mechanic check the cooler and screen for the transmission. If it is okay then the transmission may be low on fluid or slipping.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr