Q: An EGR valve has an error and my engine is stalling out when started.

Was getting very poor gas mileage was told to wait for check engine light. Started stalling out when started for frequent stores and sure enough check engine and traction control light came on. Ran my expensive scan tool and gas recirculation insufficient egr valve error code came up. Replaced egr valve brand new cleared code and 2 days later same problem.

Hi there. Check the power to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve and see if there is a voltage reference. If there is a voltage reference, then back probe the EGR Valve wiring harness plug with the engine running and see what the voltage return reference is. At idle and mild rpm’s, there should be no voltage, keeping the valve shut. If there is a no voltage, then remove the battery cable (-) negative and remove the harness from the computer. Check resistance from the EGR Valve harness plug power supply end and the harness to the computer. If there is a high resistance or the meter reads out of limits (OL), then there is a break in the wire and the wiring harness needs repaired or replaced. If the circuit has 0.5 ohms of resistance or less, then the PCM (computer) needs replaced for it has lost power to the EGR Valve circuit. If you need further assistance with diagnosing your EGR Valve issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• An EGR valve has an error and my engine is stalling out when started.