Q: Turbo causing acceleration problem

Something is wrong with my car's turbo. Clouds of white-bluish smoke are coming from the exhaust pipe. My car won't move forward when I place it in gear and attempt to accelerate. This problem started when I heard a whining noise when I accelerated.

Hi there. A turbocharger is is divided into two sections: the turbine and compressor. The turbine is attached to the exhaust manifold and is driven by exhaust gas pressure. The turbine is connected by a shaft to the compressor. The spinning turbine causes the compressor to also spin, drawing in air. That air is then compressed and pumped into the engine. The smoke and lack of power you are experiencing are a good indication that the turbo has failed. If the turbo housing is cracked or the internal seals are blown, oil will start leaking into your exhaust. This smoke is usually characterized as blue/gray. A trained professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able inspect the smoke issue and replace any failing parts.

3. Turbo causing acceleration problem