Q: Truck idles rough

Hello. I changed the spark plugs, wires, fuel filter and removed the cat converter off my truck. Its still idles a little rough like it has a miss but while driving it its ok. Any idea what it could be? Also when starting it it normally takes a second turn for it to turn over.

This is a sign of a failing idle air control valve. This is a unit that is located on or near your intake manifold that monitors the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine. This valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer which will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed. However, when the engine RPM drops below the normal range of 800 RPM (for most cars), it is more than likely that you are dealing with an IAC valve problem. In cases where this valve is clogged or is nearing its replacement age, your vehicle will stall instead of idling after the release of the throttle. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home or office to confirm a diagnosis on the rough idling issue and make or suggest the necessary repairs or replacements.

3. Truck idles rough