Q: trany malfunction light came on while driving , stopped car turned off then re-started and ca reset&drove normally. now wont reset

Transmission malfunction light came while on freeway, had to limp off stop car and turn engine off. After waiting a few minutes re-started car lights were gone and car drove normally. This happened about 2 more times after this always reset after turning car off for a few minutes. Last week did it again but will not reset. Car has been sitting for about a week, start it and transmission failure light comes on along with check engine light. A few months ago I was having problems with car not starting so replaced battery and car worked fine,however i have been on multiple forums that state I needed to have the battery programmed to the car. So could this be a battery issue?

Hi there. When the battery is replaced a programming or clearing stored error codes is completed by a professional mechanic. However, the transmission warning light and limp mode typically is not related to the the battery replacement. In most cases, this indicates an actual issue within the transmission or the drive system. It is possible that your transmission fluid needs to be flushed or there is a failure with a sensor or monitoring system. To determine exactly what is going on with your BMW, it’s best to have a professional mechanic complete a check engine light inspection, so they can download the stored codes and pinpoint the source of your issues.

3. trany malfunction light came on while driving , stopped car turned off then re-started and ca reset&drove normally. now wont reset