Q: transmission shifting

asked by on August 27, 2016

have a 1997 mustang gt with o/d light flashing on and off with rough shifting read the cel code came back to a p0720 so i replaced the OSS sensor and fixed nothing still shifting rough

If you are still getting the P0720 code after replacing the sensor then you should verify the wiring connection first to the sensor and also in between the sensor and ECM. Remove the sensor and turn the drive shaft. From there you’ll be able to inspect the sensor ring gear to see if all 6 indentations are present and if there’s any damage. If you see damage then have a mechanic quote a repair of the ring gear. If you need assistance with these checks, consider YourMechanic, as one of our certified technicians can diagnose your shifting issue firsthand and help you fix it accordingly.