Q: Weird noise on start?

Happens maybe one out of five starts. I also had it not start once. Just one loud metallic bang. Turned the key back and started again with no problems.

What on earth is this?

It sounds like you may have a starter solenoid that may not be working properly or that may be starting to fail. In some cases, the solenoid may malfunction causing the starter gear to not properly engage with the flywheel when turning the key to start he vehicle. When this happens, it can cause the starter gear to make a bit of a loud clunk sound like you describe. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to take look at the vehicle.

3. Weird noise on start?