Q: Engine knocking noise in 2011 Dodge Charger

The engine is making a loud knocking noise that gets louder when accelerating. It occasionally stalls, and I have to restart it.

The variable valve timing system uses oil pressure and solenoid control. If the system is not working properly or the oil supply is restricted to this system a knocking noise can occur which can get louder on acceleration and if the timing is not being correctly adjusted the engine could stall. A Check Engine Light may be accompanied with this so faults should be read out as well especially if the engine stalls. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will be able to determine the type of noise, locate its source, and repair the issue to correct the noise and stalling issue.