Q: My wife's 2013 Chevy Sonic is making a ticking noise from the engine, does not do it every day, but when it does, shifting is a little

asked by on August 24, 2017

The car is making a ticking noise, at start up and while driving, also it seems to hesitate while driving, but not much. No engine lights are on and this does not happen every day.

Hello. Most of the time on this engine the noise comes from the valve train. It is usually from the variable valve timing system and is considered normal. If the noise is getting very loud then it may have an issue with an internal failure due to the lack of lubrication. I would need to hear the noise to see if it is normal. If you are looking to have this checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why the engine is making a ticking noise] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/noise-from-engine-or-exhaust-inspection