Q: Can i still drive if the electric power steering goes bad?

asked by on December 30, 2016

Friday night the 30th I went out with some friends to eat. The vehicle was 110%a ok. As soon as I came back about 3 hours later the steering wheel light is on and my steering wheel is a lot harder to turn than usual. Now I've done a bit a research and know that my scion is electric so it can't be fluids due to there being no fluids unless I misread it wrong. Now my question is can I still drive my vehicle with a faulty electric power steering and what could be the risks I take besides a harder steering wheel? Please and thank you for your time.

Hello, thank you for writing in. While it is technically possible to drive the car with a failing electric power steering system, it is not going to get any better. The vehicle will need to be serviced as soon as possible. The module is still pulling excess power from the battery and robbing the rest of the vehicle. There are several issues that may be occurring with the system, as many aspects of it are monitored. With the warning light being on, you can get a scan done to find out what about the system is triggering the light. With that being said, you can seek out a basic scan at an automotive parts store, or contact a technician who can scan the computer. Either way, further testing must be done. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department.