Q: Slow crank, eventually turns on. Sometimes takes 10 mins to build the crank up

I was having problems a while ago so I changed the spark plugs, changed the starter, and replaced the terminal posts because they were corroded. I still have slow cranks and sometimes won't start without a jump. I got the alternator and battery check and they are working fine.

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to provide some insight. If the engine is cranking very slow, then it may not start well. You should have a starter voltage drop test in order to isolate if the starter or one of the wires to the starter is causing the problem.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.

• Slow crank, eventually turns on. Sometimes takes 10 mins to build the crank up