Q: Transmission making noise that relates to engine rpm.

asked by on February 10, 2017

Just swapped engines out now I'm getting a clicking kind of grinding noise that follows engine speed at first it started doing it in neutral. I let a lot of fluid come out of the transmission on accident and changed radiators. Would low transmission fluid make that noise? It's a really loud noise you can here it over the exhaust leak I have

Hi there. Shut the engine off and check the fluid on the transmission dipstick. If the transmission fluid is low and not registering on the dipstick, then top it off until it reads full. Then start the vehicle and top it off until it reads on the dipstick as the fluid level will drop when running. Then listen for the sound. If the sound is still present, then most likely the torque converter could be loose on the flex plate. If the noise dampened some but is still there, then the transmission pump has failed. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your transmission if the noise is still there.